Generic lists of recommended photo gear can be helpful, but I thought I’d also write down the specifics of what I personally own because some people have asked me exactly what it is I use.
This is the more detailed photo inventory of my gear, and I’ll update it as I add or subtract anything. (Some items names are slightly different than what I actually have because they’ve either changed or been updated since I bought them, so I listed the more current product name, instead, to make it easier for you to find if you needed something similar.)
NOTE: I believe transparency is uber important and so I want you to know that some of the links below are affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission for referring a product to you. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and it helps support the site.
SimplerPhoto is about teaching you photography & talking about the tools I use, so it’s not really a review site and I will never write about a bunch of crap just so I can use affiliate links. I only link to products I own, have owned or have personally used and would highly recommend.
Camera DSLR Body & Accessories
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II Body (the newer model is the Mark III)
- Extra Battery LP-E6
- OP/TECH USA Super Classic Camera Strap (Some photographers also like Sling Straps and Wrist Straps.)
Lenses & Accessories
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II – You can also read my review and learn why I use this lens the most.
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
- (2) Microfiber Cleaning Cloths
- Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster – Dirty lenses and sensors require special cleaning techniques and, along with the microfiber cloths, this blower does the trick.
Sizes differ depending on the diameter of your lens, so be sure you get the correct one(s). Quality also varies considerably with filters, so I don’t recommend the cheapest brands for this.
Memory Cards & Holder
- SanDisk Compact Flash Memory Cards – I don’t take chances with my memory cards and always make sure to buy trusted name brands. I’ve been happy with SanDisk and use them for both my 5D and compact camera.
- Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket – I love that I can keep *all* of my memory cards in one place. It holds 8 CF cards comfortably.
Flash & Accessories
- Canon Speedlite 580EX II – Sadly the 5D doesn’t have a built-in flash, so having an external one is sometimes necessary. This one is great and I used it a lot when shooting weddings.
- (4) Standard AA Batteries
- Stofen OM-EY Omni-Bounce – at less than $15, this small and compact flash diffuser has come in handy quite a few times.
- Canon PowerShot S110 Compact Camera, SanDisk SD memory cards & Charger
- iPhone 4s
Bags & Accessories
- Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera + Laptop Backpack – I use this on planes a lot. It takes up very little space, protects my lenses with its padded camera area and also holds my laptop & a few other things like books and music.
- Lowepro Lens Case 11 x 26 cm (for the 70-200 telephoto lens) – I use this and the one below less now since I got the padded insert listed at the bottom, but it still comes in handy to protect the lens.
- Lowepro Lens Case 9 x 13 cm (for my wide-angle lens)
- Ape Case Padded Insert – I don’t always like carrying bags that scream expensive-camera-gear-inside-please-steal-me. So instead, I put a padded insert like this one inside of other regular shoulder bags or backpacks. It protects my gear and is more inconspicuous when traveling.